Sunday, February 11, 2007

When It All Comes Together...

Be ready, this one's a music geek post.

A few weeks ago, I happened onto a nifty little band on PBS's Austin City Limits. Anyone who knows me knows that happens a lot; PBS and NPR are my most-frequent answers to that question that several people who get in the car with me usually ask -- "Where do you find this stuff?"

Years and years ago, I remember hearing My Mom and one of her friends talk about Charley Pride, and how, "The longer he sang, the whiter he got..." The Gourds were like that for me -- the longer they played, the better-lookin' they got. They put on a pretty cool show; sounded familiar but didn't play anything I'd heard before. Their music was catchy, and I heard a song or two I wanted to hear again just because it was so wordy I wanted to be sure I was getting the whole point; that's why I promptly bought that two-disc live album off iTunes. It's a great album and I like it, even though it didn't have the same songs I wanted to hear again.

Last night, I fell asleep with "Hooky Junk" stuck in my head, even though I'm not quite sure what's goin' on there... I have that problem sometimes -- I'd known all the words to "Bat Outta Hell" for a good ten or fifteen years before it hit me what that was about; same with "He Stopped Lovin' Her Today." Duh. So, after lots of humming, I Googled for it. I found all sorts of answers from Heroin to Mushrooms to Baking Chicken Pot Pie -- But then I found the NPR Article and listened to the interview. Have I mentioned how much I love NPR lately?

It's about Tom Waits, ain't that somethin'? All I could think was "Well, Duuuuuhhhhhh..." Why didn't I notice that? It's all references to Tom Waits songs!

Now, if I could just find the same kind of info for "Treat Me Like A Saturday Night."

More later... _\,,/

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home