Thursday, January 17, 2008

One More Thing I Love About The Internets

As a highschool band kid, I spent more than a few afternoons hunting (and hunting and hunting) through the section of the music store marked "Classical." I'm not entirely sure how long it took me to give up on finding recordings of pieces we'd played in band, both in the concert hall and on the football field. It seems to me, there's not much logic as to how the "Classical" Section is laid out -- probably because I almost never found anything I tried to look for and I never could see any logic to how the CD's were put into whatever order they might be in on the shelves or in the racks.

If you're lookin' for Meat Loaf's "Paradise By The Dashboard Light," ya just go to the "Rock" section, look for the "M"s, and when you find the Meat Loaf CD's, read the backs of the boxes and decide which one you want to buy. If you're lookin' for Macy Gray's "Freak Like Me," you go find the "G"s. Earl Thomas Conley is filed under "C," but don't bother lookin' for Bobby Bare in the "B" section 'cause they never have any of his stuff either.

Dvorak's Symphonies are fairly easy to find, but I dare ya to go to into a store and look through the Classical section just to see if you can find a recording of John Barnes Chance's "Incantation and Dance." I'll be in the coffee shop eatin' brownies instead, 'cause I already know nobody's gonna find it anywhere other than the 'net.

Which is why I love me some internets. Once I realized I could click on over to a site named after a river (sorry, not linking 'em 'cause they don't pay me) and search by the song title, I was able to stock up on all sorts of stuff I hadn't been able to find before -- "Armenian Dances," and "Incantation and Dance," and several other pieces that have stayed with me since way-back-when I was able to get my ass out of bed and make it to a 6:35 AM rehearsal.

Last night on my way across 71st Street, I had an experience much like that near-hung-over morning in college when I found out Silverado was actually from the score of a cowboy movie. Sick and tired of hearing about the Democrats, I switched from NPR over to the Classical Affiliate, KWTU, and I landed on 88.7 FM just as a song was ending and the announcer was coming on. Blah-blah-blah, Nationalism, blah, banned by the Russians, blah blah... Helsinki Philharmonic...

Helsinki Philharmonic? Nationalism? Can it be?? I suddenly remembered standing out on the blacktop of the practice field in the midst of my trombone-playin' buddies and crackin' jokes during breaks, "I'll bet this is the national anthem of Finland..." Are they really gonna play it? Did I really catch it? Right here in the car??

Sure enough, the music came on, that amazing feeling hit me, and there it was, Finlandia!!! Played by the Helsinki Philharmonic!! It was positively breathtaking! It was incredible and I enjoyed every second of it!

And then it hit me...

It's Official: I Am An Old Nerd.

But hey, my car insurance is a lot cheaper now, and I don't have to get up near as early anymore.

More later... _\,,/

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home