Thursday, June 05, 2008

How'bout a little somethin' disjointed?

After an exchange of several amusing e-mails, last night I was told I should write a book. She's the second person to tell me that in the last year or so, and she doesn't know the first person who told me the same thing. There have been a few occasions where I've bought (or borrowed, thankfully) books that made me think "Gee, if these people can write and get it published, why can't I? I've had an idea or two, but they seem to be more-of-less short-story-sized. Sometimes it seems like a marble rollin' around in a barrel.

--

I just had a call from a guy another yard who told me he thinks the government is poisoning us. He's always liked to chat a bit whenever he calls, and usually I end up listening to fun little bits about the biz or cars or whatever for a few minutes until one or the other of us has to answer another phone. Today's topic was allergies and how they've been worse over the last few years, which is probably due to toxins that have been "tested" by means of crop-duster style planes or trucks with fans.

--

I'm not going to link to it because I try to stay away from politics here, but the Editorial Cartoon in today's Tulsa World was thumbs-up. Heh.

--

Still not quite politics, I got my "Stimulus Check" (finally), and I've decided to be a rebel and put it in my savings account.

--

Still trying to stay away from politics, I finally got the new James McMurtry album, "Just Us Kids" (off iTunes because I'm to the point that buying music in stores pisses me off about as much as commercial radio). It's very interesting, and just as I suspected, I love the storytelling aspect with or without the political views. "Ruby and Carlos" was playin' when I came back from lunch and I can't help but think radio is leaving a lot of good music unplayed, and without much good reason. I left a copy of the CD in the delivery truck because hey, have I mentioned how hard commercial radio sucks? It certainly does, and if I hear that damn "Don't Even Know My Last Name" song one more time, somebody's gonna get hurt.

--

I've been thinkin' about thicker bangs a lot lately, but then there's the heat & humidity -- so I guess I'll just keep thinkin' and see if I still want to lean over the sink and hack at it when cooler weather gets here. Between gas prices and summer weather, I'd say it's almost time to get out the 30-MPG ragtop, which I'm proud to say only took two tries to start up after a long cold winter in the garage. For right now, I'm thinkin' thin-n-short will be the best way to avoid lookin' like Fonzie every time I park the car.

--

I've also been thinkin' about a few of the friends I used to have... More or less that I feel bad for tryin' to squirm away from that one particular somebody who only calls when they want somethin' I might have. What ever happened to just hangin' out or just talkin' once in a while? I try my best to not be that friend who only calls when they want something -- the last time I called was because I had an extra concert ticket and wanted to not go alone. I really don't mind trying to help fix things or helping move furniture or helping with a car something like that for people I care about; I have friends I'd do anything for because I love those times when we get to just hang out and talk or watch a movie or whatever, and I know that if I needed somebody, they'd be there for me. I miss those nights when we'd just sit on the tailgate and talk about anything and everything, I feel bad for not answering my phone, but come on, if it's the middle of a three-day weekend and you're just callin' my cell for parts, leave me alone 'til I'm back at work and call the shop. I miss my buddy, but if there's no time for me anymore, then there's no time for me to be anybody's after-hours free parts consultant.

--

Speakin' of missin'... I sure wish we could find a good Chinese buffet. I still miss "The China Cafe" that they ripped out down there on South Lewis.

--

On a lighter note, we finally sold a car today. It's the one I put on Cra!gsL!st several months ago, but we sold it through walk-in traffic, so go figure.

--

Clay just e-mailed me a link to a site sellin' Hearse parts, they have pictures of an Urn Holder to put in the back of a hearse. Maybe it's the gas thing, maybe it's 'cause I've only been to one funeral that involved ashes, but that kinda "got me," as my grandma would say. I carried ashes out of the funeral home and slid into the shotgun seat of a Suburban with 'em in my lap. I covered the box up with a flannel shirt when I dashed into Git-N-Go for a pop and a candy bar and when we got to the house, I just took 'em in -- flannel shirt and all, and that's how they stayed. They're still wrapped up in that green and tan flannel shirt right now. We'll make it to Kalispell one of these days...

--

The electricity keeps goin' nuts 'cause the wind is blowin' like nobody's business. I'm runnin' the MacBook on battery right now 'cause it's a little unnerving to look over there and see the tiny green light on the power cord go off. The PC to my right keeps trying to start itself back up every time but all of the others are just clicking every time; after the third try, I gave up on tryin' to get 'em all back on since the power will just go again in a couple minutes anyway.

--

I think I hear a big ol' piece of roof flappin' in the breeze, might oughta go take a look at that...

More later.

_\,,/

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home