Tuesday, November 07, 2006

My Ovaries Made Me Write This...

Last night during to "Millionaire," I got quite a bit done on that pink & purple scarf that I'll probably get to buy back at the next garage sale. Heh. Sorry, couldn't resist throwin' that one out there one more time, just 'cause it makes me giggle. The colors aren't near as obnoxious as I thought they'd be...

Since I wasn't really interested in sitting on my bed to knit (a, it's not that comfy to sit "indian-style" for very long, and b, cats and yarn just don't really mix well), I stayed in my comfy chair after the show went off and the CMA Awards came on even though I'm not really a "country" music fan.

When it comes to Country, I love the obscure stuff, the stuff that doesn't get played on the radio around here (Joe Ely, REK, Charlie Robinson, James McMurtry and the like) and the stuff out of the seventies that's cycled out of radio's attention span -- I'm sure I'm Bobby Bare's youngest fan.

I'm not a a big fan of the popularity contest that the Award Shows put on either; when somebody wins some award, but can't be there to accept it 'cause he's in drug & alcohol rehab, that's just icky. When the guy who reads the "letter" and accepts it for him has greazy hair and creepy eyes that make him look like he might be in need of a little rehab himself, that's just takin' it from bad to worse.

For the most part, my opinions of "new country" or "top-40 country" (or whatever they're callin' it lately) fall in line with what Hank 3 said -- "Pop country really sucks."

But... I am such a sucker for a sweet little Love song.

I don't think I'd ever heard "She's Everything" until Brad Paisley came out on stage and sang it last night, and I really liked it. It was really sweet and really pretty, and I ain't ashamed to tell ya, it was all those sweet things the girly-girl in me wants to hear, and it made me get all teary-eyed right there in front of the TV. It was so sweet... And then they put the camera on his wife, and she was like a statue. Glassy-eyed, no smile, no nothing, it didn't even look like she was looking at him, she was just zoned-out with no reaction at all! Come on! I don't even really like this guy and I'm tryin' not to cry! She's married to him and he's singin' it right to her, and she's not even showing a crumb of emotion! Hello?? Is she in there??? Is she having a seizure? A stroke? A sudden hearing loss??

Do we need to call the medics for her, or is it something they couldn't help her with?

"...She's a warm conversation that I wouldn't miss for nothin'..."

Maybe she's just one of those girls who reacts just right to make guys afraid to Love anybody...

Okay, okay, I'll quit b!tchin' and go back to work.

_\,,/

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Hank III song. So glad he takes after his granddad and missed the Bocephus gene.

I was glad to hear that Brooks & Dunn did well. I've always liked them and Alan Jackson. I don't have much use for the rest of 'em. They all sound alike to me.

I do love classic country. That stuff from the '70s that my parents listened to when I was little is just awesome. Last week my mom told me that my granny had recently sold all of her country music magazines from the 1970s through 1984, and I got a little sick that I didn't get a chance to see them.

I've got a great version of "Take This Job and Shove It" with Bobby Bare, Jeff Tweedy (my Wilco boy), Radney Foster, and the late, wonderful Buck Owens. Something tells me you'd probably dig it.

Oh, and while I've got it on my mind: Clara Jane went to the doc today and got excited about a camel painted on the wall, which immediately made me wonder if it's time to introduce her to "Camel Walk". I think it is.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home